Required

Bridgeport Catastrophic Injury Lawyer

Individuals who suffer catastrophic injuries from an accident can have their life altered forever. The entire family can feel the effects, both psychologically and fiscally. While sound legal representation cannot heal physical or emotional wounds, partnering with a Bridgeport catastrophic injury lawyer might enable you to receive sufficient compensation to ease the financial burden for you and your family. George W. Ganim, Jr., a trustworthy personal injury attorney, is ready to help you.

Characteristics of Catastrophic Injuries

Catastrophic injuries imply extreme damage, having life-altering results. Common causes of such serious injuries include falls, car wrecks, motorcycle and bicycle accidents, construction site accidents, dangerous products, sexual assaults or violent encounters, to name a few. These and other sources can lead to permanent damage. Typical catastrophic injuries include:

  • Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
  • Organ damage
  • Spinal and neck fractures
  • Paralysis
  • Amputations
  • Disfigurement
  • Vision or hearing loss
  • Burns

To be fully compensated for these losses, an injured person should consult with a Bridgeport catastrophic accident attorney. Applying his knowledge, skill and experience, Attorney Ganim has helped victims of a catastrophic injury secure sufficient compensation to address both current and future financial needs, as well as damages for the pain and suffering.

The Importance of Adequate Compensation

Catastrophic injuries permanently change nearly every aspect of a person and their family’s life. Everyday physical tasks may become challenging, if not impossible. Emotional disorders may emerge, while living expenses may stretch beyond available resources.

The Cost of Living After a Catastrophic Injury

Treating these serious conditions may demand extensive and protracted medical attention, requiring multiple surgeries or treatments. Even with the best medical care, debilitating effects or deformities may persist. New ways of accomplishing tasks may be necessary, such as hiring home health aides, retrofitting vehicles, modifying living spaces or moving to new housing. The emotional toll of living with a new reality may necessitate regular counseling sessions. The injured person, and potentially a family member, may miss time at work, sacrificing much-needed income. Each of these challenges has a cost attached to it, and a lawyer can help determine the right amount of compensation to seek.

Damages that Address a Patient’s Needs

Connecticut General Statutes Annotated § 52-572h(a) identifies the losses for which a catastrophic harm patient may receive damages:

  • Medical treatment
  • Rehabilitation
  • Psychological counseling
  • Personal care
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress

Monetary awards for these and other types of economic and non-economic damages may account for both present and future harm. In limited cases, an injured person may also pursue punitive damages to punish offenders for grossly negligent or reckless behavior.

Limitations on Recovery in Bridgeport

Connecticut adheres to two legal premises that might reduce, or even eliminate, a person’s right to recovery. Statutes of limitation impose a deadline upon when an injured party may sue alleged wrongdoers. CGS § 52-584 establishes a two-year window from the time of the accident. Generally, those who do not raise their claims within these two years risk having their cases dismissed and surrendering their right to damages.

Another way an injured person might receive less compensation than anticipated is if they share blame for the incident. CGS § 52-572h explains that each party must accept responsibility for their percentage of blame, and injured parties will have their restitution reduced by their percentage of fault. In other words, if the fault assigned to offending parties equals 75 percent and the other 25 percent rests with the injured party, then the injured party may only recover up to 75 percent of the total amount justified. However, an injured party deemed responsible for more than 50 percent of the harm receives nothing.

By working with a local catastrophic injury attorney, an injured person may avoid the harsh consequences of case dismissals and drastic compensation reductions.

Find Your Advocate with a Bridgeport Catastrophic Injury Attorney

There are few things in life as harrowing as suffering a traumatic injury. Attorney George W. Ganim, Jr., a Bridgeport catastrophic injury lawyer, understands the upheaval you and your family are experiencing. By working together, you could reduce your stress and devise a plan to recover the compensation necessary to support your altered lifestyle. Begin the process by calling him today.