A hit and run accident may involve damage to property including other automobiles or motorcycles, or stationary objects such as a telephone pole, a parked car, or a homeowner’s property. It may also involve injury to a person, another driver, a vehicle passenger, a motorcyclist, or a pedestrian.
Hit and run accidents can be devastating for families, particularly in wrongful death situations. Not just losing a loved one, but the uncertainty of who is responsible adds to the devastation. It is important to hire a car accident attorney to cover the damages. We, at Ganim Injury Lawyers have claimed thousands of dollars for car accident victims in Connecticut.
HIT AND RUN ACCIDENTS STATISTICS
Statistics reveal that the percentage of hit and run accidents have gone up.
- According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), in 2012 and 2013, 36% of car accidents involved a pedestrian and resulted in death.
- In 2013, there were 1,460 hit and run accidents reported.
- In 2014, reported hit and runs were 1,920.
- Records say that one in five pedestrian deaths is the result of a hit and run driver.
- According to recent statistics, approximately 11% of all car accidents are hit and run.
WHAT TO DO IN A HIT AND RUN ACCIDENT
There are five steps one should take if involved in a hit and run accident where the at-fault driver flees:
- Remain at the scene: Do not follow the other driver. Remain at the scene of the accident and call the police. Chasing the driver could cause further injury to yourself.
- Gather information: Try to remember as many details about the hit and run driver’s vehicle as you can. Make, model, color and if possible the tag number.
- Rely on the aid of witnesses: You may be in shock, but good witnesses can help identify the at fault driver. Collect the information of the witnesses.
- Purchase under/uninsured car coverage from your insurance: In many hit and run accidents, at-fault drivers may never be identified, especially if there were no other witnesses. Underinsured car coverage on your own insurance policy can cover your injuries if the at-fault driver is not identified.
- Talk with your attorney: An experienced car accident lawyer can help you determine your best course of action.
LOOKING FOR A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN BRIDGEPORT, CT? CALL (203) 445-6542
If you or your loved one is injured in a hit and run accident, then contact Ganim Injury Lawyers. We know everything about personal injury law and are committed to helping you. We will do everything we can to get you rightful compensation. Our representative will also keep you updated about your case by providing status reports and related documents. You can call us at (203) 445-6542 or (877) 828-4279. We also serve in Milford, New Haven, Stamford, Danbury, Darien and Fairfield County in Connecticut.